Coyne School, 1925
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Fred Hayward, photograph donor, notes that "Coyne School (was) a long walk from the Hayward farm on Britannia and Trafalgar" (the farm was near the old village of Drumquin which did not have a school). Coyne's School was in the old village of Hornby.
Fred's father, also called Fred Hayward, is the young lad in the first row seated on the ground with the slate in front of him. In Row 2, it is either Fred Sr.'s brothers Bob or Bruce first on the left end, his sisters Margaret is 4th from the left and Barbara is 8th from the left. In Row 3, it is either Bruce or Bob first on the left, 8th from the left is sister Evelyn. Fred (Jr., photograph donor) says that in 1925, Evelyn, Gwen and Joy were at home. Edythe, Walter and Murray had graduated, and Andrew died in 1918.
- Coyne Public School, S.S. #9, was located at the northwest corner of Lower Base Line and 7th Line (now Trafalgar Road), below Drumquin, in Halton County.
The original school, a log building, was built in the woods at the northern end of the Bethel Church shed on the high bank of the Sixteen Creek on property owned by Michael Cavenagh in about 1823. The next school was a frame building located on the northwest corner of Lower Base Line and the Seventh Line. It was so close to the road there was no playground for the children. This building burned in 1895 and in 1896, a new brick schoolhouse was built on the site. It wasn't until 1931 that land was purchased at the east end of the school, from Mr. F. Ford, for a playground. The school closed in 1958.
This information is based on the history compiled by Ross Wark in 2015, "History of Coyne's School S.S. #9, 1823-1948" as found in the Tweedsmuir Village History of Drumquin 1946-1948 by the Drumquin Women's Institute.
- Coyne's School S.S. #9 - R.R. 1 May 11th, 25
- Date of Original:
- May 11, 1925
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Coyne School, 1925
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton