David Lindsay 1781-1875
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- David Lindsay and Mary Anne (Beatty) Lindsay, had emigrated to New York from Ireland in 1811. Around 1822, they moved to Esquesing Township, settling on Lot 1, Conc. 8. Family members eventually lived throughout Halton County including areas of Trafalgar Township.
David Lindsay: born about 1781-Tyrone, Northern Ireland; died 1875 Esquesing
(David was a farmer but later opened a hotel in Esquesing)
Mary Anne Beatty (1789-Tyrone, Northern Ireland; died 1857 Esquesing (Hornby Presbyterian Cemetery.
Note: We believe David had a brother, James Lindsay (1795-1873), who also settled in Halton. His wife's name was Rosanna Crawford (1804-1876).
David and Mary Anne had the following children: #1-5 were born in U.S.; the others were born in Halton.
1. Jane Lindsay (1815-1866)
2. Elizabeth Lindsay (1816-1899) - married David Caldwell (1815-1888)
3. Susannah Lindsay (1818-1819)
4. James Beatty Lindsay (1819-1905) - married Mary Jane Gibson (1822-1874)
Note: James kept hotels/taverns in Milton, Stewarttown and Hornby. One was named Red Lion Inn.
5. Esther Lindsay (1821-1894) - married Joshua Dynes (1821-1892)
6. John Lindsay (1823-1899) - married Sarah Caldwell (1828-1904)
7. William John Lindsay (1825-1919) - married Dorothy Mahaffey (1828-1888)
8. David Lindsay (1828-1908) - married Frances Kerr (1832-1889)
9. Sally Lindsay (1829-1829)
10. Francis Beatty Lindsay (1835-1907) married Frances Elizabeth Armstrong (1847-1922) The March 15, 1866 Milton Canadian Champion wrote of their marriage: "Married Fanny Armstrong of Hornby."
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Collection
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- David Lindsay 1781-1875
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton