Wood Family Bible with Births and Deaths
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- 4 photographs showing pages of births, marriages and deaths as written in the family bible of the Wood family. The family is still well known today as son George Stanley (Stan) and his wife, Ethel, owned the general store with the telephone switchboard and post office at Palermo, Trafalgar Township in the 1930's, '40's and '50's.
The bible entries seem to date from the 1870s through to the 1950s. Not all family or extended family births, marriages and deaths were recorded over the years but the family connections shown are extensive throughout the old area of Trafalgar Township, and it is interesting to read the notes added about people.
William Wood came from England as a young man to farm. After retiring from farming, he and his wife moved into Palermo.
The first page of the bible registry pages is the marriage certificate of William Wood and Maria Ann Bumby in Oakville in the presence of Thomas Wood and Mary Wood, officiating minister was Thomas D. Pearson. The date is not clear as someone has stroked out the decade year "8" in 1884, but we can read it was on March 17th. Ancestry.ca says the year was 1874. They were the parents of Stan Wood, and they had six daughters.
- Page 4 of the Milton Canadian Champion article describing the 65th wedding anniversary of William and Maria is linked here for your further information as to the names of their children, and thus clarifying entries on the bible registry pages in this record.
- Further information from the linked 1939 Milton Canadian Champion article:
At age 88, when she and William were celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary, only 3 of Maria (Bumby) Woods siblings were still living: Mrs. J. Sherwood of Appleby, Mr. Harris Bumby of Bronte and Mrs. W.H. Speers of Bronte.
Children of Maria and William were: J. Stanley of Palermo, Mrs. F. Rivaz, Mrs. W. Tovell, Miss Ann Wood of Palermo, Mrs. G. Grice of Oakville, Mrs. A. Broderick of Guelph, Mrs. Glen Shaw of Burford. They had 16 grandchildren and 10 great-granchildren at the time of their 65th anniversary in 1939.
- Personal Name(s):
- Maria Ann Bumby, 1850-1944 ; William Wood, 1843-1943. They are buried in Appleby Pioneer Cemetery in Burlington, Ontario. Their headstone also names Thomas Harry Wood who died at age 30 on October 2, 1918 and Anna M. Wood, wife of William Grice, 1883-1974.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Wood Family Bible with Births and Deaths
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton