Four Generations: Michael, Albert, Wilbert, Harold Biggar
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Michael L. Bigger is listed on the 1859 Tremaine Map of Halton County as owning the property, Lot 15, Concession 2 NDS Trafalgar Township, running north from Burnhamthorpe Road on the east side of 6th Line. As well as establishing and growing the Glenclare Farm, he served as Deputy Reeve - Oakville on the Halton County Council in 1890-1891. Through the generations, the family were community leaders, working as township Reeves, involvment in the dairy and farming associations, as church musicians, active in the community and church women's associations, as well as running their mixed farm operation.
Michael was born in Stony Creek. The family had come north from the United States as so many did, through the Niagara area. His father was Richard Lanning Bigger, b. March 6, 1801 in Trafalgar Township, ON. He married Esther Lafey on October 2, 1823 in Ontario, Canada. After her death he married Mary Hunter. He died on January 9, 1879 in Trafalgar. He is buried in Omagh Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Trafalgar Township.
Michael's mother, Esther Lafey was born on June 22, 1804 in Saltfleet, Wentworth County, Ontario. She died on April 23, 1828 and is buried in Fifty Cemetery, Grimsby, Ontario.
Michael's older brother, James Pettit Bigger, was born on June 30, 1824 in Saltfleet, Ontario. He married Priscilla Pettit Clement on February 27, 1849 in Trafalgar and their older children were born in Trafalgar Township. He died on July 14, 1905 in Jarvis, Walpole Township, Ontario.
- The family is buried at St. Jude's Cemetery, Oakville. The surname spelling on their headstone is "Bigger" but the spelling "Biggar" has also been commonly used by the family.
- Personal Name(s):
- Michael Lafey Bigger, b.January 27, 1825 d.December 10, 1921, married Belinda (Cronkrite) Bigger, b.1834 d.December 31, 1898. Their children were James William Bigger, d.December 10, 1921 and Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856, d.June 24, 1938. Albert married Henrietta (called Hettie) Almira (Munn) Bigger, b.October 26, 1860, d. November 26, 1962.
Children of Hettie and Albert were: Clara A. Bigger, b.February 13, 1884, d.1978 ; William James, b.July 26, 1886 ; Wilbert Henry, b.May 6, 1887. Wilbert married Mary Ethel Conover, b.1888 d.1949.
Wilbert and Mary Ethel's children were Harold C., 1917-2004, Clare O. Bigger, 1937-1945, Lois, 1919-1997, Russell and (twins) Martha and Kathryn.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- Four Generations: Michael, Albert, Wilbert, Harold Biggar
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton