Sixteen School, S.S. #16 Trafalgar, in May 2015
- Media Type
- Item Type
- In the spring and summer of 2015, the Trafalgar Township Historical Society took on the project of photographing the historic houses from the North Service Road north to Burnhamthorpe Road, from Ninth Line west to Tremaine Road.
S.S. No. 16 schoolhouse sits on the west bank of the Sixteen Mile Creek, at 2477 Fourth Line, just below Dundas. As you can see, it is slowly deteriorating. Vandals have pulled bricks out, pulled off the back porch (the building was most recently a family home) and defaced it with graffiti.
It seems that the schoolhouse opened in 1855 and closed in 1955. (As per the inscription on the sketch of the school presented to Abbey Lane Elementary School by the Halton Elementary Teachers Association - see our photograph of this sketch elsewhere in our internet collection.)
The "Sixteen Hollow Schoolhouse" is recognized by the Town of Oakville on the Register of Properties of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest (Not Designated) as having "potential cultural heritage value for its historic rural one-room brick schoolhouse".
- Click on Pages, Select to see more photographs of the old school taken in 2015.
You can find the other Trafalgar Township Historical Society photographs of the old schoolhouse by searching for, "Sixteen School, S.S. #16, Trafalgar Township".
- Date Of Event
- May 2015
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.43341 Longitude: -79.66631
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Sixteen School, S.S. #16, in May 2015
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton