87 Dundas Street East, Oakville
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house was demolished in April 2018 for site "development". It sits on the north side of Dundas, west of the Trafalgar Road intersection, closer to Munn's Corners than to the old Postville intersection.
The legal description is CON 1 NDS PT LOT 15 RP 20R11415 PART 1; OAKVILLE.
The house has been modernized with aluminum siding which covered up the original window above the front door. The old support beams, and the "rubble" cellar walls and the house design tell us that it was first built in about 1848. The several photographs in this record show the house as it is in 2015.
The property was first granted to John Robinson by the Crown in 1804. In 1823 it was left to Daniel Munn and various other family members acquired it afterwards. The house was built by George Elliott, a shoemaker, and the Census for the next years show George and Susan Elliott living there until 1874. The property was bought in 1879 by David Snider McDuffy. The property remained in the McDuffy family until 1920.
- The Town of Oakville Heritage Impact Assessment for 87 Dundas Street East, October 20, 2014, by Stevens Burgess Architects Ltd. is linked here for your further information. Older photographs showing the outlying buildings are in this report.
- Personal Name(s):
- John Robinson.
David Snider McDuffy.
George and Susan Elliott.
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Recommended Citation:
- 87 Dundas Street East, Oakville (
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton