Munn's School, S.S. #3A Trafalgar
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Daniel Munn gave the land on which the first school in the Trafalgar Township was built in 1809. This substantial log structure served until 1852 as both school and church. In 1852 a new brick school with a cottage roof with a bell was built on the site of the present Munn's church at the intersection of Sixth Line and Dundas Street, Oakville. The building in this photograph was built in 1900. It was active through to the end of 1955 when a more modern 8 room school building started construction.
In December 1956, Mrs. Henrietta (Munn) Biggar, great-grandaughter of Daniel Munn, rang the school bell to mark the official opening of the new school. A link to the newspaper article about this, "Pioneer's Descendent 90 Opens Trafalgar School" is in this record for your further information.
Here is another timeline for the Munn's school buildings by one of the Town of Oakville Heritage Planners:
-Daniel Munn deeded land for a school and church on Lot 15 Con 1 SDS (SE corner of Sixth Line and Dundas). A log structure was built there in 1809, serving as both a church and a school.
-In 1844, a new wooden church was built. This is often referred to as the first Munn’s Church, yet there are many references to the combined church-school log structure built in 1809.
-A new brick school with a cottage roof was then built in 1852 and used until 1900. This was constructed on the northeast corner Sixth Line and Dundas on Lot 15 Con 1 NDS.
-In 1900, a new brick one-room schoolhouse was built east of where the original one was (between the Munn farm on Lot 15 and what became the Hays farm on Lot 14).
-In 1954, a new 8-classroom school was built on Sixth Line near Upper Middle Road, and this school is still in use in August 2016.
- A link to the school's history on the Halton Board of Education website is provided, click on "About Munn's Public School".
- Personal Name(s)
- Daniel Munn. Henrietta E. Munn, b.October 26, 1850 d.November 26, 1962. Hettie married Albert Anson Bigger, b.November 13, 1856 d.June 24, 1938.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.45931 Longitude: -79.70242
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Munn's School, S.S. #3A Trafalgar
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton