Postcard: Triller and Trafalgar Streets, Bronte, Ont.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This black and white photograph looks south down Trafalgar Street, past the east-west running Triller Street, towards Lake Ontario in Bronte, Ontario.
On the west side of Trafalgar Street, the tall smokestack of the 3 storey Bronte Steam Mill building shows on the horizon. According to Adam Armitage's information, "The Bronte Steam Mills were built by the company, Jones, Williams, and Cummer on the west side of Trafalgar Street between Triller Street and Chisholm Street. At that time, it was one of the largest steam grist mills in Ontario. A three-storey building with a tall, brick smokestack, the steam grist mill was a Bronte landmark for nearly a century." The complete essay about the Bronte Harbour Company is linked under the photograph in this record.
- Lakeshore Road was called Triller Street through Bronte. (East in the town of Oakville, it was called Colborne Street.)
Trafalgar Street is now called Bronte Road and runs down the east side of the Twelve Mile Creek to Lake Ontario.
See Also the published book, The Story of Bronte by Philip Brimacombe, Oakville Historical Society & Boston Mills Press, c1976.
In 1950, the upper floors of the Page & Mitchell's Bronte Steam Mills burned, leaving only the very thick stone walls of the basement and its enormous squared-pine beams.
- Commercial print on card front: "Triller and Trafalgar Streets, Bronte, Ont."
Commercial print on verso: "POST CARD.", "ADDRESS ONLY.", "PRINTED IN SAXONY", "105 THE INTERNATIONAL STATIONERY CO., PICTON, CANADA."
Handwritten in pencil on back of card: "HLT", "J", $8-".
- THE INTERNATIONAL STATIONERY CO.
- Place of Publication:
- Picton, Ontario
- Corporate Name(s):
- THE INTERNATIONAL STATIONERY CO., PICTON, CANADA
- Local identifier:
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Ross and Margaret Wark
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Postcard: Triller and Trafalgar Streets, Bronte, Ont.
Trafalgar Township Historical Society
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton