S.S.#10 Trafalgar Township, White School, Tenth Line and Britannia Roads, Teachers and Students.
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify anyone in this picture? Can you help date it?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- An undated photograph of the students and teachers at the White School, S.S. #10. Trafalgar Township.
In 1824, a log school was built at the modern-day named intersection of Tenth Line and Britannia Roads in the former Trafalgar Township, Halton County. Approximately 50 pupils, including many adults, attended. Students from Toronto Township, Peel County to the east also came here.
When school sections were being created in 1842, area families from both Townships were permitted by the Ontario Legislature to continue this school on the Town Line as a "union" school.
The log school, S.S. No. 10, Trafalgar burned down in 1858.
A brick building was built in 1859, on the Robinson farm, Halton County. This construction turned out to be so poor that the building tilted and had to be propped up more than once. Attempts were made to sue the builder.
It was replaced by a two room white frame building across the road on farmland owned by Trustee John Miller in Toronto Township, Peel County (the west half of Lot 6, Concession VI, Toronto Township).
The new building, shown in this record, was framed with 8" x 8" timbers, clad with horizontal boards and painted white. It was built by John Gailey of Oakville. It opened in August 1872.
Discussions arose over more than once over the years as to keeping the school as a union school, but it carried on until June 1960 when the school was closed.
Most of the above information is taken from the presentation prepared by Joan Reid, Streetsville Historical Society president in 2008, for the 150th Anniversary of Streetsville.
The TTHS has a copy of the booklet prepared by Joan Reid, "Little White Schoolhouse S.S. No. 10 Trafalgar" in its print archives. The book has a wealth of documented information about the activities at the school, names the teachers and school trustees, tells stories about the school and people involved with it, and captures the old times very well.
- This school was also called the Tenth Line school and the Britannia-Miller school.
Width: 1285 px
Height: 872 px
- Personal Name(s)
- Isobel Workman is front left and Fred Workman is front right. John Workman remembers one story told by his father, Fred, about either the telephone or Hydro poles being put in near the school and the older boys grabbing the younger boys by their ankles and lowering them head first into the post holes. The Workman family farm was nearby.
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 46.20006 Longitude: -83.03317
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- S.S.#10 Trafalgar Township, White School, Tenth Line and Britannia Roads
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton