Glenorchy School, S.S. #14 Trafalgar in 1948
- Media Type
- Item Type
- S.S. No. 14, Glenorchy school was also known as Pleasant Valley School.
The school was on the floodplain flats of the Sixteen Mile Creek on the Fourth Line, just south of Lower Baseline. People remember the river ice pushing up against the old school.
A small building on the site was the shed which protected the well.
The road was often closed to cars in winter, open only in warm weather as it dipped down and crossed the Creek. A hairpin turn took the road alongside and up the steep north cliffside to Lower Base Line. The road is now only for pedestrians and bicycles as new, safer routes are available.
The site is particularly remembered for the collapse of the seventy year old bridge in 1964 when a truck with a heavy load of potatoes tried to drive over it. We have photographs of this accident elsewhere in our collection. Just search the words "potato" "truck".
- Date of Original
- Local identifier
- Trafalgar Township Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4821021796332 Longitude: -79.7714369259643
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation
- Glenorchy School, S.S. #14 Trafalgar in 1948
- Trafalgar Township Historical SocietyEmail
Trafalgar Township Historical Society Sponsor: Jeff Knoll, Local & Regional Councillor for Oakville Ward 5 – Town of Oakville/Regional Municipality of Halton