Picture St. Marys
Garnett House 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. This building was originally constructed on Church Street North in 1869 as a hotel, owned by John W. Pearson. It featured high quality furnishing and a livery stable, which is a parking lot now. After changing hands numerous...
Central School 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. Originally built in 1858, Central School was torn down and replaced by this building in 1914. It was renovated to add more rooms in 1923, and a gymnasium in 1982. The building still stands today, and is used as an apartment...
160 Maiden Ln., 1980s 
still image This house is located at 160 Maiden Lane and retains many of its original exterior features. The house was built c. 1870 for Milner Hart who was working as a Dominion Land Surveyor at the time of its construction. He lived in the home with his wife, Margaret Robertson, soon after their wedding. In...
St. Marys United Church and House 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It depicts the United Church and adjacent house, looking north along Church Street. This Church was built in 1879 as a Methodist Church. On June 10, 1925, the Methodist church officially became The St. Marys United Church,...
West Ward School 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. Opened in January 1866, the West Ward school served to accommodate the large number of students already attending Central School. When the new Central School building was built in 1914, further additions were added to it...
31 King St. S., 1980s 
still image This grand white brick house was built in 1857. The house contains many Neo-Classical elements including the geometric surround detailing over the front door transom window and the commanding symmetrical façade. The house was originally constructed with light salmon-coloured brick, which was...
London Bridge and Old Water Tower 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It shows the London Bridge leading to the VIA Station, and the Old Water Tower on the skyline. Taken from Station Street, it is facing south across Trout Creek. The London Bridge was constructed in 1857 after a new branch of...
London Bridge 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It is a view of the London Bridge spanning Trout Creek, taken from Station Street facing southeast. In the background, the Water Works can be seen. The London Bridge was constructed in 1857 after a new branch of the Grand...
545 Jones St. E., 1980s 
still imagemystery This small home was once located at 545 Jones Street East. It is no longer standing. The photo provides a look at the house as it appeared in the early 1980s. It is a clapboard cottage with large windows and what appear to be functional shutters. The house has metal sheet roofing and decorative...
Ashton Tire Service 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It shows an exterior view of Ashton's Tire Service, which was located on Water Street South. This photo is looking north towards Queen Street. The facade of the Opera House is visible on the far left.Condition: Excellent - No...
Bridge Leading to 169 Ingersoll Street, 1980s 
still image This bridge was once an extension of a laneway leading to the house located at 169 Ingersoll Street in St. Marys. It allowed residents of the home to easily travel over the railway tracks below. The property would become known for being the home of the local Ruthig family. In the winter and early...
The North Ward 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It is a view of the North Ward, looking northeast across the Thames River. In the foreground is the Dam and Rice Lake, along with the banks of the Flats and the old Boat House on the right. Several houses dot the landscape,...
Old Central School 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It depicts the Old Central School, looking north down Church Street. Built in 1857, this school served as the town's elementary school until it was replaced in 1914 by a much larger building. That building still exists today,...
Linds Park, St. Marys 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It depicts Lind Park, on the corner of Church and Jones Streets. The Park is home to a bronze statue of locally-born Prime Minister Arthur Meighen. Commissioned by the federal government to sculptor Marcel Braitstein in 1970,...
Looking Southeast Over Victoria Bridge 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. This is a photograph looks southeast over the Thames River and Victoria Bridge. Visible in the centre is the flour mill and Opera House, which was gutted and used for mill operations during this time. On the kyline is the...
St. Marys Memorial Hospital 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. In January 1947, Town Council granted $125 000 to purchase land and build a hospital in St. Marys. On June 23, residents voted in favour, and began a long fundraising process to complete the project. Built on Queen Street in...
D.G. Louch Coupon 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. This is a coupon for D.G. Louch's shoe business, which entitles the customer to one percent cash of their purchase of goods from his store.Condition: Fair - Some wear on all four corners, heavy discolouration throughout."D.G....
Maxwell Ltd. 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It depicts an ariel view of the Maxwell's Factory on James Street South. Founded in 1859, they manufactured and sold machinery, farm implements, and household items. Maxwell's became a notable business and name in St. Marys....
Great Star Flour Mill 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. It shows the Great Star Flour Mill, built in 1907, looking east across the Thames River. In front of the mill, there are train cars, as there was a CPR line running along the river. The Opera House in the background was...
Water Tower, St. Marys 
still image This image is one in a series of postcards from the Reg Near collection. Built in 1899, the Water Tower served the Town for 90 years as the main tower until 1989, when a new tower was commissioned. The exceptionally preserved old tower remains an important symbol of the community, and was...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit