Postmarked July 7, 1912 Postcard view of (Old) Central School as it appeared then.
This building was built in 1857 after the other school buildings had been outgrown.
The current Central school (on the same site as this former structure), was built in 1914.
"Central School, St. Marys, Ont."
...Queen St., north side, just east of Wellington St. 1884
A.H. Lofft & Co., book store, grocery store...
...Looking west from above Church St. is a view of Queen Street 1884
On the left, Windsor Hotel owned by Jack Canard on the right (behind trees) British Hotel, owned by John-Billy Cosgrove
Note: Portable steam engine...
...A view of Queen St. looking east from Victoria Bridge 1884
-foreground in pith helmet, on penny-farthing bicycle, C.S. Rumsey, manager of Bank of Montreal.
-bus belongs to James McKay
-police force in picture (Lamond?)...
...Looking south from the Sarnia Bridge 1884
...Victoria Bridge and mill 1884
...W.V. Hutton home, Westover Park 1884
...One side of a stereoview of the Church Street bridge during construction in August of 1884
. In the background the London railway bridge can be seen with Trout Creek running under both the Church Street and London bridges....
...One part of a stereoview of St. Marys Collegiate Institute as it appeared in 1884
Built in 1875, its most famous graduate is Arthur Meighen, ninth Prime Minister of Canada.
The school has been added onto many times, and has been a public school since 1955 when a new high school building...
...Andrews' Block just after construction in 1884
; Andrews Jewellery Store; T.D. Stanley Groceries....
...Copy of a photo of a quarry (east of Water Street) taken in 1884
Copy of a photo of the First Presbyterian Church Manse - an early example of a brick house in St. Marys. This manse was built about 1860, but has since been replaced. Condition: Copy is in very good condition.
...Photo of a group of men who were a part of the winning team at the Ontario Tankard curling competition in 1884
These men include -
J.D. Moore, L.G. Sparling, Wm. Andrews, J.W.G. Somerville Sr.
Wm. Somerville, John Weir, T.O. Robson, Joe Oddy...
1884 One side of a steroview of the Theodore Hutton block, the Opera House block and the William Veal Hutton block found on the west side of Water Street.
Of these buildings the Opera House is by far the most famous and beautiful. It has gone from being an Opera House/Oddfellow meeting place to being...
Ferrotype of John L. Maxwell, sitting on a stool, posed looking to the side. He is wearing a jacket done up all the way to the top, and a hat.
John L. Maxwell was the brother-in-law of George Gouinlock, the architect of the St. Marys Town Hall. Condition: Lacquer and image intact except for a...
1800s A rare look at the interior of the Opera House taken sometime in the 1880s.
This view shows some seats below and the seats up in the balcony (which appear to be bench-like seats). Some people can be seen sitting up in the balcony with a chandelier in view as well. Condition: Copy is very good.
1880s Photo of the St. Marys Oddfellows' temple that once existed within the St. Marys Opera House on the uppermost floor. This photo would have been taken sometime in the 1880s and features the men all posed together with some sitting and some standing. Behind them a sign station "HERE LOVE & TRUTH...
1884 Photo of the first few buildings on the north side of Queen Street just west of Church Street (TD Canada Trust is now on the corner). Condition: Copy is very good.
...Photo of 91 Queen Street East, which currently houses McPherson Arts and Crafts. This photo was taken in 1884
after a redesign of the building. At the time a Mr. Chalmers owned this corner block....
Photo of J. Bartlett's bakery located at 19 and 21 Water Street South. There are two employees standing outside the store wearing aprons. Condition: Copy is good. Was on Water St from 1869