Two Women and Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the women in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. This photo features two women sitting in chairs in front of a shiplap farmhouse. The women are wearing aprons over their dresses. A dog is sitting between them in the grass. The house is a storey and a half. Lace curtains can be seen through the open windows. The house has no porch and a simple door. There is a small frame addition at the back of the house. Additions like these were often used as summer kitchens, likely the case here as a stove pipe is visible at the back of the addition.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1072. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Poor - Image is fairly clear, some areas where image has been distorted. Small chip out of glass plate. Oxidation around outer edges, most severe along right and left edges (2.5cm at widest point). Very sever emulsion loss along right edge, concentrated in lower right quadrant (width: 2.5cm, length: 12.2cm). Tiny spots of emulsion loss throughout negative (less then 1cm). Light scratches on surface (longest 3cm). Large flaw in emulsion (width: 4cm, length: 18.5cm).
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1072
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Two Women and Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1072.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of the copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.