Rural Home and Family, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. A group of four people are posing in front of a brick house in the country. An older man is sitting in a chair with a woman beside him. A young woman is also seated with a young man standing next to her. A picket fence can be seen behind them.
A verandah is on the front of the house, decorated with ornate brackets. A small table is set on the porch with various potted plants on it and around it. An arched window is set in a central dormer. All windows have functioning shutters. Gingerbread bargeboard decorates the roof peaks.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1064. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. No damage to glass plate. Small amount of oxidation on left edge of negative (<1cm at widest point). Small amount of emulsion loss in bottom right corner.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1064
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Rural Home and Family, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1064.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of the copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.