Farmhouse and Family, St. Marys Area, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. This photo features a portrait of five people posing in front of a large brick house. An older man and woman are both sitting in chairs on the lawn with a young man and woman standing behind them. Another young woman is sitting on the grass with a dog beside her.
The house is a storey and a half with a front verandah and an additional porch at the back. The house features an arched Romanesque window in the central dormer. There are brick trim details around all of the windows. The verandah is decorated with ginger breading. Strings with ivy growing up them are tied onto the roof of the verandah. Potted plants have been set out on the porch and window sills. A water pump and trough can be seen near the house's back porch to the right. The entry to the root cellar is visible in the photo.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1062. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. No visible damage to glass plate. Minor signs of oxidation around edges of negative, concentrated along right edge (1.2cm at widest point). Small amount of emulsion loss in bottom right corner. Finger print in upper right corner.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1062
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Farmhouse and Family, St. Marys Area, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1062.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of the copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.