Brick House, Couple with Dog on Front Porch, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. A couple are posing in front of a one and a half storey brick house. The man is seated in a chair and the woman is standing behind a large bush. The house features an uncovered porch where a dog is lying to the far left. The house has arched brick headers, a curved window in the central dormer and decorative carved bargeboard in the dormer peak. Many potted plants and flowers are sitting on the porch and window sill.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1060. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. No visible damage to glass plate. Small signs of oxidation along left and right edges, less than 1cm at widest points. Small amount of emulsion loss in lower left corner, four small spots.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1060
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Brick House, Couple with Dog on Front Porch, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1060.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with the permission of the copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.