Perth County and Stratford House of Refuge
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photo showing the Perth County and Stratford House of Refuge. Four men and a dog are standing outside the front steps with the vast lawn in the foreground.
This is the location of the present Spruce Lodge (on Gore Street, Stratford. It was erected in 1896 as a place for those who were less fortunate to stay. They would help do manual labour in the fields of the property if they were capable - or receive care if they were older or incapable of manual labour.
See the History of Perth County, 1825-1902 by William Johnston for more information (pages 56 and 57).
- Condition: Copy is very good.
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.2 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 24.5cm
Image Height: 19.5cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum archives
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Courtesy of the Stratford Perth Archives
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Perth County and Stratford House of Refuge." St. Marys Museum, 2120ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.