- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photo of a group of students and teachers standing outside the former "Lock-up school" that was once located on Water Street South.
The Lock-up school was in fact St. Marys first Town Hall and was built in 1855.
Description of building from Dr. J.R. Stanley in the booklet "Our St. Marys Schools":
"This was a two storey building facing the river and when completed furnished accommodation for the village fire fighting apparatus, also for the cell used to confine culprits who fell into the hands of the police. This latter feature gave the buildings its well known name, the 'Lock-up'. The upper floor which was reached by a covered-in wooden stairway on the outside of the wall, was used as a public hall. The unsatisfactory condition of the school accommodation suggested the advisability of securing this hall as a school room and in 1855 Miss Green brought her class of girls to this building, which they continued to occupy until the erection of the Central School a couple of years later."
This building was used as a school until 1908 when it was torn down.
See Early St. Marys by L.W. Wilson and L.R. Pfaff (#6) for more information.
- Condition: Copy is good.
Width: 21 cm
Height: 15.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 15cm
Image Height: 14.3cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- From the St. Marys Journal Argus reproduction book
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Lock-up school." St. Marys Museum, 1301ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.