St. Marys Opera House, 1884
- Hugill, Ingersoll, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Types:
- Photo showing the Opera House in 1884.
(This view is available in L.W. Wilson and L.R. Pfaff's Early St. Marys book, #27).
The building was built for the St. Marys chapter of the Imperial Order of Oddfellows in 1879/80. The Oddfellows occupied the third floor of the building, with the second floor containing the stage for performances and the first floor rented out to businesses as storefronts.
The Oddfellows were forced to sell the building in 1904 thanks to a loss of money that the building caused, and eventually the building was taken over by G. Carter and Son & Company and used for their milling operations. The building continued to house a flour mill until 1973.
The building stood empty for many years and was in danger of becoming completely deteriorated and possibly not fit for use anymore but was thankfully fixed up into apartment by the Lions Club in the 1980s.
The building is still used as an apartment building with businesses occupying the ground level.
- Condition: Copy is good.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 7 cm
Height: 8.6 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 7cm
Image Height: 8.6cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Source: Orville Macke
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "St. Marys Opera House, 1884." St. Marys Museum, 1707ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.