Stone Cottage at 181 Thomas Street
- William Eley, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photo of a stone brick house that still exists on 181 Thomas Street in St. Marys. This photo taken in 1919 shows the original shutters, wooden fence and gateposts.
It was built in 1863 by stonemason Alexander Grant to serve as his own home.
This home was designated in 1988.
Reasons for Designation:
This limestone cottage was built in 1863 by Alexander Grant, a local stone mason, as his own home. Details such as finished quoins and lintels, the regularly coursed stone of the facade, the carpentry of the doorway, and the overall fine proportions all indicate the special care of a highly skilled artisan. From old photographs we know that this cottage originally possessed exterior shutters and a picket fence.
This cottage in design, construction, and setting is one of St. Marys' most important nineteenth century buildings.
(Schedule A of By-Law Number 30, 1988)
- Condition: Copy is excellent.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 12.7 cm
Height: 10.1 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 9.5cm
Image Height: 5.3cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection.
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Stone Cottage at 181 Thomas Street." St. Marys Museum, 1075ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.