Reverend Ebenezer Wilkie Panton
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photo of Rev. Panton, dressed in his robes. He was the Minister at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Stratford for many years.
He is mentioned in an 1891 book about important Canadian men entitled: "The Canadian album : men of Canada; or, Success by example, in religion, patriotism, business, law, medicine, education and agriculture; containing portraits of some of Canada's chief business men, statesmen, farmers, men of the learned professions, and others; also, an authentic sketch of their lives; object lessons for the present generation and examples to posterity Volume 1" by William Cochrane (click link at side to see book).
Passage from book (click Full Size to see photocopied page from book):
EBENEZER WILKIE PANTON,
Stratford, Ont., was born July 15th, 1842, at Cupar-of-Fife, Scotland. His education was commenced at the public schools of Toronto, and continued at Whitby and Oshawa High Schools, Toronto University, and Knox College. He graduated from Knox College in 1873. Previous to this he taught school for seven years. In 1873 he was licensed by the Presbytery of Ontario to preach, and the same year was ordained and inducted into Peel Street Church, Lindsay. In 1875, on the union of the Presbyterian churches, he (with Rev. J. A. Murray, of the old Kirk Church,) resigned his charge, in order to bring about practical union in that town. In 1876 he received a call to Bradford, which he accepted, remaining there nearly seven years. In 1883 he accepted a call to St. Andrew's Church, Stratford, where he has since remained, and, under his pastorate, the congregation has greatly increased, and the membership of the church almost doubled. Mr. Panton is treasurer of the Stratford Presbytery, president of the Bible Society, also president of the Mechanics Institute. He married Helen K. White, of Oshawa.
- Condition: Okay. Image is good but area around image is damaged and worn.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 17.6 cm
Height: 23 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 8.8cm
Image Height: 12.6cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright expired. Permission of the St. Marys Museum required for print or electronic publication.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Rev. Ebenezer Wilkie Panton." St. Marys Museum, 0973ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.