Interior of the First Presbyterian Church ca. 1900
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The First Presbyterian Church was opened for services in March 1881, a replacement for an earlier, frame church on the same property. This view, taken approximately 20 years later, is a rare and important view of the early interior of this building with the simple, yet effective, trompe l'oeil friezes in contrast to the plain, painted plaster walls. The decoration was probably the work of John Willard whose interior paint skills were remarkable.
A lighting fixture, probably gas, can be seen suspended from the ceiling.
- Condition: Fragile. This image contains important information that is at risk of being lost as the sepia darkens to browns and yellows.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 16 cm
Height: 13.9 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 11.9cm
Image Height: 9.6cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- From David White and his collection of photographs originally belonging to James Fairbairn and Nettie Fairbairn.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
First Presbyterian Church interior, ca. 1900 St. Marys Museum, 0963ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.