St. Marys Methodist Church Quarterly Official and Trustee Boards, 1908
- Mystery Question:
Some names have questions marks. Can you help the Museum correctly identify these individuals?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- In 1908, the St. Marys Methodist Church celebrated its Diamond Anniversary. A commemorative booklet was published that included a print of this photograph. The 27 men are identified as being members of the Quarterly Official and Trustee Boards of the church in that anniversary year.
The St. Marys Methodist men from the 1880s onward included a high proportion of local merchants and businessmen in the membership. They took part in all lay functions of that congregation: property matters, management committees, Sunday School, choir. Their wives and children were well-represented in the appropriate church groups.
These men also took part in community activities such as municipal government, professional organizations, various public service boards, and institutions such as the Masonic Lodge.
Men identified as:
Back Row - Wesley Somers, J. W. Pearn, Wm. R. Butcher, W.A. McIntyre, Dr. L.L. Follick, John Ready, Dr. W.F. Brown, F.E. Butcher
Second Row - George Vice, J. F. Pickard, Hazelton White, Dr. J. R. Stanley, Joseph Pearn, George Chapman, L.H. Reesor, Robert Whitworth, A.H. Lofft
Front Row - David Walks, H.L. Rice, Jerry White, William Box, Dr. J. Roberts, Rev. Dr. McCamus, C. Freeman, W. H. May, T.D. Stanley, Wm. H. Graham
- The Museum has 2 copies of this photo under the identifier 0839ph.
Copy 1 - Fair. Silvered on left side. Unevenly toned and dirty. Looks like tape has ripped image off as well as other scratches on image.
Copy 2 - Fair. Yellowed and scratched and faded on right side. Pieces of image are missing. Matte is warped, stained and dirty. Names written on in ink.
Copy 2 used as example for this page. Measurements below are approximate for both.
- Written on back in pencil:
Width: 50.7 cm
Height: 40.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 34.4cm
Image Height: 25cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copy 1 - May family
Copy 2 - John and Alice Hawkesworth - July, 2001
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- St. Marys Methodist Church Men's Group." St. Marys Museum, 0839ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.