St. Marys Journal office
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Copy of a photo of the St. Marys Journal office which was located at 142 Queen Street East. When the St. Marys Journal and the St. Marys Argus became one newspaper in the 1920s (to become the current St. Marys Journal Argus), the paper still occupied this building. Of course, the lettering was changed to reflect the newspaper's new name.
This building is now the home of The Chocolate Factory.
Click on the photo to see the Chocolate Factory as it appeared about 10 years ago. Please note that it has changed since.
- Condition: Copy is in excellent condition.
- Location: 142 Queen Street East
Original Owner: T.B. Guest
Date of Construction: 1868
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The Journal-Argus building is located in the east third of a major stone block erected by T.B. Guest in 1868. This fine stone structure emphasizes the strength of the Classical Revival style through its simple plan and careful proportions. The large blocks of coursed St. Marys limestone that were used add to the monumental effect of this three-storey edifice.
The Journal-Argus portion of the block is fronted on its first storey with handsome carved wooden mouldings (which may be original) and a recessed door containing an attractive rectangular transom. This store, which has housed the Eedy publishing firm since 1895, is one of the most picturesque in town, and calls for immediate designation.
(Schedule A, By-law #69 of 1981)
Designated October 13, 1981
TEXT OF PLAQUE
The Journal-Argus building is located in the east third of a major stone block erected by T.B. Guest in 1868. Built in the Classical Revival style using St. Marys limestone the Journal-Argus is fronted with early carved wooden mouldings.
The building has been the home of the Eedy publishing firm since 1895.
Width: 25.2 cm
Height: 20.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 24.5cm
Image Height: 19.6cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copy from Lorne Eedy
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "St. Marys Journal building." St. Marys Museum, 0824ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.