Cadzow Park house around 1902
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Copy of a photo of a house. This house is currently the St. Marys Museum and was built in 1854 for the Tracy family.
The community museum for the Town of St. Marys is located in a lovely old home sitting on a hilltop in a park at 177 Church Street South. It was constructed from locally quarried limestone in 1854. When George Tracy, an early settler to St. Marys, built it for his family, it was by far the largest home in the small village of log shanties. Almost immediately, it was nicknamed the Castle in the Bush. It has been the location of the St. Marys Museum since 1959.
Visitors interested in 19th-century construction are welcome to visit at any time throughout the year. They will see exhibits and materials on local history and can also explore the interior of the house itself. Although it has not been restored to any fixed historic period, it contains a great number of original features from 1854: pine flooring, four fireplaces, plaster crown moldings, high ceilings and strange sets of small rooms off larger chambers.
- Condition: some wear and bump marks but very good otherwise (this is a copy).
- Cadzow Park, St. Marys, ca. 1902
Original possession of Mrs. E. Phillimore, Toronto
- Date of Original:
- ca. 1902
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.2 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 22.5cm
Image Height: 17.4cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Cadzow Park house around 1902." St. Marys Museum, 0636ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.