Class standing in front of school, 1893
- W.L. Becker, Stratford, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Photo of students and teachers of St. Marys Collegiate Institute in 1893. The school was later turned into a public school called at first "North Ward Public School" and then later "Arthur Meighen Public School."
Identified in Journal-Argus of ca. 1943 as Staff and Pupils of St. Marys Collegiate Institute in 1893:
Seated, from left: Grafton Harris, Berton Lancaster, Walton Peart, Thomas Farr, Percy Coupland, George Graham, Fred Richardson, David Mills, Edward McIntosh, Austin Whelihan, Will Keen
First row: Grace Box, Ella Henderson, Laura Brown, Maud Keen, Berneice Irvine, Lottie Hueston, Margaret Gordon, May Hutchinson, ------ ------, Geo. Dormer, Will Young, Dan Conn, George Thompson, ------ ------, Wm. Bridgeman, Will Whiles, David McIntosh, Charles Harding, Herbert Scott, Herbert Hutton.
Others in the group are: Nellis McKay, Nettie Fairbairn, Eliza Kenny, Minnie Tremble, Lillian Thompson, Lena Francis, Alice Wilson, Minnie Thompson, Maria Harrison, Miss Ferguson, Mary Radcliffe
Ernie Sparling, Fred Sinkins, Frank McCracken, Ed. McCracken, Dut Stanley, Arthur Henderson, David Skinner, Walter Keast, Robert Hicks, Hubert Roadhouse, Everett Rea, Alex Grant (with huge hat), Tom Russell, Will D. Spence, Ed. McMurray, Harry D. Spearin
- We have 3 copies of this photo:
- 2 are in the oversize storage area - click on the photo to see 0121ph_OS. One of the two in oversize has been numbered 0122ph.
- The photo used for the main scan is in the photo file along with 2 photocopies.
Condition reports are as follow:
Copy 1 - (0121ph) - possibly has a bit of water damage, fairly fragile, some loss of contrast and very brown toned (this is what we took the digital copy of)
Copy 2 - Oversize (0121ph_OS) - some spotting on photo, fairly faded with a yellow tone – not a lot of contrast to photo
Copy 3 - Oversize (0122ph) - very dirty and stained; mounting is completely ripped and frayed; the contrast is pretty bad on this photo as well.
Dimensions are for 0121ph only.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 26.5 cm
Height: 32.9 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 24.4cm
Image Height: 19.3cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum photo collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Class standing in front of school." St. Marys Museum, 0121ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.