Friendship Centre Prior to Mural
- Mystery Question:
What year was this photo taken?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This picture depicts the Friendship Centre building before the painting of the mural. Originally built in 1922 as a factory building for Hurlbut Shoe Company, it became a fabric weaving mill before a period of inactivity prior to the Second World War. During the war, it was leased to Maxwell Ltd. and manufactured shell plugs and hand grenades. The building was rented out to different businesses after the war, and in 1960 it became the recreation building before being converted into the Friendship Centre in February of 1974. In the 21st century, the building struggled with popularity and upkeep, and was subsequently demolished in 2014.
- Condition: Some dust specks, but otherwise good condition.
Width: 1998 px
Height: 1451 px
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Friendship Centre Prior to Mural" St. Marys Museum, 3062ph.
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal study or research; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction.
High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.