196 Widder St. E., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house located at 196 Widder Street East was built in 1873 by Scottish carpenters James Craig and James Hamilton for Craig and his family. Craig was a co-owner of the Craig and Hamilton Planing Mill in St. Marys once located at the corner of Water Street North and Parkview Drive. The planing mill produced sashes and doors. The carpentry firm was awarded contracts for work on the St. Marys Collegiate Institute, the first Knox Presbyterian Church and the Opera House.
The original clapboard house consisted of the front section, seen in this photo, and a one-storey kitchen wing. The second-storey of the wing along with the veranda were likely added by Michael Tevlin, another carpenter who owned the house from c. 1875 to 1917. This house has been historically designated; the designation includes the looping bargeboard, the veranda and its fretwork frills, and the double-hung sash windows. Other notable features on the house include the double-window dormer and window shutters. While the house has been painted different colours over the years, it retains many of its original features to this day.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Craig, James ; Hamilton, James ; Telvin, Michael.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
196 Widder Street East, St. Marys, Ontario:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "196 Widder St. E., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP196WidderE_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.