Westover, 300 Thomas St., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house, now known as Westover, was built in 1867 for retired mill owner William Veal Hutton and his brother Joseph O. Hutton. The limestone house was designed by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour. In the 1870s, a two-storey addition was erected on the south side of the house. A tea house was also later added to the property in the 1880s. A kitchen addition was eventually erected to the west side of the building and in 1911 a carriage house was constructed on the property designed by J.A. Humphris. The building once had a grand conservatory which was eventually demolished.
The estate was known for its elaborate gardens and the park was open for the public to walk through. The house has many notable deign features including the elegant bargeboard along the gables, the large monolithic stone lintels above the windows, the substantial bay windows on the lower level and the gothic-inspired wrought iron railing featured above one of the bays. In 1987 the house was opened to the public as Westover Inn.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
*To see additional photographs related to this image click on the "detail" link under the image.
- Condition: Excellent - No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Hutton, William Veal ; Hutton, Joseph O. ; Barbour, Robert ; Humphris, J.A.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
300 Thomas Street, St. Marys, Ontario:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Westover, 300 Thomas St., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP300Thomas_k.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.