111 Widder St. E., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This is one of the oldest homes in St. Marys. It is a pre-1850s limestone house. The south portion of the house was likely built by James Allan circa 1848/49 who lived on the property with his family. Allan would later add an addition to the house in 1856. In 1869, Duncan Sinclair purchased the house for his family and by 1882 Dr. John Sinclair took the house over from his father. Dr. Sinclair practiced medicine in St. Marys for a quarter of a century. The house had many owners in subsequent years including bakery owner John Bartlett, druggist Lawrence Graham Nairn, Moses and Janet Sinclair, and Donald and Marion Savage.
The house has symmetrical windows placed one either side of the door accented with flat arch headers. The current entrance of the home was rebuilt but it contains similar features to the original entrance including an ornate wooden door surround and a recessed door with a transom window. Another addition was added to the house in the 1940s.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Allan, James ; Sinclair, John ; Sinclair, Duncan ; Bartlett, John ; Sinclair, Janet ; Sinclair, Moses ; Nairn, Lawrence ; Savage, Donald ; Savage, Marion.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
111 Widder Street East, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "111 Widder St. E., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP111WidderE_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.