109 Wellington St. N., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house was built in 1874 for Dr. John H. Mathieson and his wife Mary Harrison, daughter of early settlers Milner Harrison and Catherine Howard. The house was built for Mathieson by Robert Barbour, an architect responsible for the design and construction of many notable houses in St. Marys. Dr. Mathieson was a prominent St. Marys resident who sat as the Chair of the Building Committee during the construction of the current Town Hall.
The house was built in the Italianate style with prominent quoins along its sides, arched brick headers above the windows and decorative brackets under its eaves. An ornate storm porch with stained glass windows is attached to a large verandah that wraps around the west and south façades of the house. Intricate treillage work was incorporated into the verandah and balcony seen to the left of the image. The storm porch has been altered in recent years but the house retains many of its original features.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
*To see additional photographs related to this image click on the "detail" link under the image.
- Condition: Excellent - No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Mathieson, John Hugh ; Harrison, Mary.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
109 Wellington Street North, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "109 Wellington St. N., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP109WellingtonN_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.