106 Wellington St. N., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This one-storey limestone house was built in the 1870s by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour for Fanny Adam. The house is known as one of Fanny Adam's four cottages. Fanny was married to John Adam, a local tavern keeper at the St. Marys Empire Hotel. After his passing in 1866, Fanny had four houses built by Robert Barbour. She rented this house to her sister Margaret who was married to local merchant Alexander Beattie. Margaret would eventually buy the house in 1887.
The house has smooth stone lintels and quoins above the windows and along the sides of the house. The recessed front door with a transom window and sidelights is decoratively surrounded by stone accents. The house features a protruding bow window on the right side of the home (see additional photos for more details). White ornate trim makes this window an elegant focal point. The house has had several alterations made to it since the time of its construction including an addition that was added to the north side of the building. A round portico now covers the front entrance.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
*To see additional photographs related to this image click on the "detail" link under the image.
- Condition: Excellent - No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Adam, Fanny ; Adam, John ; Barbour, Robert ; Beattie, Margaret ; Weir, John McArthur.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
106 Wellington Street North, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "106 Wellington St. N., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP106WellingtonN_e.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.