91 Queen St. E., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This limestone building is located at 91 Queen Street East in downtown St. Marys. It was built in 1854 for William V. Hutton, an early mayor of St. Marys. The architect who constructed the building was Lauriston Cruttenden; he was responsible for the design of many early buildings in St. Marys. In the 1880s a two-storey rear wing was added. By 1884 the building was housing a hardware store owned by John Chalmers. He decided the building needed an update and hired William Williams to design another story; the mansard roof was added at this point. A M&M Variety sign can be seen above the entrance in the photo. This store has moved to another building downtown.
The building is an example of Second Empire style architecture with its slate tiled mansard roof, dormer windows and heavy brackets. The ornate roof features fish scale tiling with a decorative pattern along its length. The dormer windows are set in decorative pediment moulds. An elaborate cornice sits just below the second storey. Note the widow's walk on the roof. This block is an officially designated heritage site.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of buildings of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is clear. No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Hutton, William V. ; Williams, William ; Cruttenden, Lauriston ; Chalmers, John.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
91 Queen Street East, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "91 Queen St. E., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP91QueenE_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.