147 Tracy St., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house was built c. 1882 for Jane Caspell. Caspell was a widow who had the home constructed for she and her three children Ella Maud, Annie Jane and Bert. Previously a frame structure had been on the property. Caspell ran a boarding house to support her family. She lived there until 1903 when the house was sold to James Patterson, a retired farmer who used the home for rental income until he moved in himself in 1910. In 1919 ownership changed hands to Fredrick Cardwell who in the 1920s owned a local dry cleaning and tailor business on Wellington Street North. He lived in the home until 1940. The house was then sold to Gordon J.K. Petrie and Helen Petrie (née Baker) who would live in the home for approximately 60 years.
The house was constructed with white Ontario brick and has a very symmetrical façade with four large windows fitted with shutters. The front door is set in an elegant surround with a cornice above. An addition was added the back of the building in later years that possible incorporated part of the first frame house on the property. The house has been maintained well and still has many of its original features.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is clear. No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Caspell, Jane ; Caspell, Ella Maud ; Caspell, Annie Jane ; Caspell, Bert ; Patterson, James ; Cardwell, Fredrick ; Petrie, Gordon J.K. ; Petrie, Helen.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
147 Tracy Street, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "147 Tracy St., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP147Tracy_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.