243 Thomas St., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This two-storey house located at 243 Thomas Street was constructed with locally quarried limestone. It was built c. 1869 by stonemason William Falconer Jr. In 1878 it was sold to farmer George Whiles who lived in the home for several years with his son Luke William Whiles, a local carpenter. Many different families have owned and lived in the home since its construction. The house provides examples of early construction including the large stone lintels above the windows and the rough-cut irregular course limestone façade. The centre cross gable contains a round-arched window with an arched stone header above. Black shutters can be seen on the windows which have since been removed. The porch has been altered since this photo was taken and the house now has a wide covered verandah with four pillars.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
*To see additional photographs related to this image click on the "detail" link under the image.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is clear. No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Falconer, William ; Whiles, George ; Whiles, Luke W.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
243 Thomas Street, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "243 Thomas St., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP243Thomas_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.