231 Thomas St., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This clapboard one-storey home was built in 1884 by George Whiles. Whiles purchased the property in 1879 and he and his son Luke William Whiles, a carpenter by trade, constructed the house together. After its completion Luke W. Whiles lived in the home with his wife Ann Harrison. In 1924, Whiles had his daughter Eva live in the home as a tenant after the passing of his wife. Eva would later gain possession of the house after her father's death. Ownership of the house passed through several other families including Eliza and Joseph A. Dickey in 1943, Grant and Joyce Cookson in 1964 and five other families up to the current day.
The house features double front doors inset with Italianate inspired round-arched windows. A stained glass transom window is above the front doors and the doors are set into a Neo-Classical door surround that works cohesively with the trim around the windows. The house has retained many of its original features, including those listed above. However, an addition has been added to the back of the house and it has been painted a darker colour in recent years.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is clear. Several minute scratches to surface of negative, barely visible. No other signs of damage.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Whiles, George ; Whiles, Luke W. ; Harrison, Ann ; Whiles, Eva ; Dickey, Eliza ; Dickey, Joseph A. ; Cookson, Grant ; Cookson, Joyce.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
231 Thomas Street, St. Marys, ON:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "231 Thomas St., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP231Thomas_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.