89 Ontario St. S., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This house is located at 89 Ontario Street South and is an historically designated structure. This photo gives a view of the house as it looked in the early to mid 1980s. The house was historically known as "Mount Pascoe" and is located atop a hill overlooking St. Marys. It was built c. 1870 for local lawyer C.S. Jones by locally well-known contractor Robert Barbour. Jones would eventually become notorious due to his hasty departure from St. Marys to the United States in 1879. He left with money he stole from his clients.
Dr. John Sinclair was also a notable resident of the home. He practiced medicine in St. Marys for 26 years before moving to Chicago. He also took an active part in city council. Sinclair lived in the house with his wife and family until the property was purchased by his brother-in-law William Dale. Dale was a respected Latin professor at the University of Toronto. He was forced to resign in 1895, despite the protest of many students. He acted as Mayor of St. Marys for two terms.
The house is Italianate in its styling with a Georgian symmetrical plan. It features bay windows on the first storey, intricate brickwork around the windows, elaborate carved brackets under the roof eaves and elegant quoining along the sides of the home. The house has a small verandah with a balcony above. A mansard roofs tops the house with rounded dormer windows. The house is a fine example of the grand estate houses being built in the mid to late 19th century.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
*To see additional photographs related to this image click on the "detail" link under the image.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.6cm
Image Height: 2.3cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Jones, C.S. ; Sinclair, John ; Sinclair, Frances Henderson ; Dale, William ; Barbour, Robert.
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "89 Ontario St. S., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LP89OntarioS_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.