United Church, 85 Church St. S., 1980s
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photo provides a good view of the United Church in St. Marys, located at 85 Church Street South. The church was originally built as a Methodist Church in 1879. In June of 1925, some of the members of the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations joined together to form the United Church. This building has remained the United Church since that year. The church contains many Romanesque Revival features commonly seen on churches built in the mid to late 19th century; note the round arched windows used on the church as opposed to the pointed arches that were seen on buildings with more of a Gothic Revival inspiration. The spire that once sat on the tower was struck by lightning in the 1940s, it was never replaced.
In the winter and early spring of 1982-1983, Randall Speller, a colleague of Larry Pfaff from the Art Gallery of Ontario, took a series of black and white photographs of houses and buidlings of architectural significance in St. Marys. Larry Pfaff and several local friends who shared this interest in architecture took some additional photographs in a subsequent summer. This photograph is one of this series.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. No signs of damage to the negative.
Width: 3.5 cm
Height: 2.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 3.5cm
Image Height: 2.5cm
- Local identifier:
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Larry Pfaff - on behalf of LACAC.
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "United Church, 85 Church St. S., 1980s", St. Marys Museum, LPUnited_a.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.