Two Women and a Man Posing with Small House, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The photo shows a man sitting on the steps in front of a one-storey home. He has a fedora style hat resting on his knee. Two women are standing on either side of him; the woman to the left is wearing eyeglasses. The house appears small and light in colour. The house has a covered verandah with ornate brackets. The property is surrounded by trimmed hedges and a small iron gate blocks entry to the walkway. A sidewalk is visible at the bottom of the photograph.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1877. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Very Good - Image is very clear. Small chip out of top right corner of glass plate. Oxidation along upper right edge (1cm at widest point). Small scratches on surface, concentrated in upper half. No visible emulsion loss or damage.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1877
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Two Women and a Man Posing with Small House, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1877.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.