Picture St. Marys
McCorquodale Family Portrait and Home, c. 1902-1906


Description
Creator:
Carter & Isaac, Photographer
Media Type:
Image
Item Type:
Photographs
Description:
This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The family in the photo has been identified as the McCorquodale family of Zorra Township. The family is standing in front of their brick farmhouse. The McCorquodales' farm was located on Lot 13 of Concession 14; the house is still standing to this day.

Donald "Dan" McCorquodale was the head of the family and the father of the children seen here. He worked as an Oxford County Councillor along with his farming. Donald is missing from the photo. All of the McCorquodale children are included in the photo; from left to right - Anna Mary (d. 1954), Alex D. (1890-1965), Johanna "Joey" (1885-1970), Tina Christina (1892-1957), Frank M. (1892-1959) and Sarah Jane (1894-1963).

The family is posing beside a tall flagpole in the yard. Behind them are two large semi-circle shaped hedges. The yard is enclosed by a wooden rail fence, seen to the right. The large brick house stands in the background. It is a storey and a half and built with light brick. The peaks of the roof are decorated with ginger breading and ornate finials. the house features several arched windows; the lower window seen on the left side of the house includes stained-glass. The house appears to have two porches, one on the right and one at the front of the building. The house also features some scalloped shingle details on the porch and above the large window to the left. Note the rectangular area of lighter coloured brick on the house; this is an indication that there was once a doorway that has been bricked over.

The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.

This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1632. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
Notes:
Condition: Fair - Image is clear in visible areas. No visible damage to glass plate. Signs of oxidation along upper edge (2.5cm at widest point), not severe. No visible scratches or fingerprints. Small area of emulsion loss in upper right corner (<1cm in size). Minor emulsion deterioration in upper right quadrant. Large area of emulsion loss from left corner towards centre of plate, part of image is missing as a result (length: 12cm, width: 2.5cm). Emulsion is flaking in this area.
Dimensions:
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
Subject(s):
Personal Name(s):
Anna Mary McCorquodale, Alex D. McCorquodale, Johanna "Joey" McCorquodale, Tina Christina McCorquodale, Frank M. McCorquodale, Sarah Jane McCorquodale.
Local identifier:
CI 1632
Collection:
St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.20009 Longitude: -81.01643
Donor:
Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Recommended Citation:
"McCorquodale Family Portrait and Home, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1632.
Location of Original:
R. Lorne Eedy Archives
Terms of Use:
Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
Reproduction Notes:
This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
Contact
St. Marys Museum
Email
WWW address
Agency street/mail address

177 Church Street South,

P.O. Box 998,

St. Marys, Ontario.

N4X 1B6

Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










McCorquodale Family Portrait and Home, c. 1902-1906


This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The family in the photo has been identified as the McCorquodale family of Zorra Township. The family is standing in front of their brick farmhouse. The McCorquodales' farm was located on Lot 13 of Concession 14; the house is still standing to this day.

Donald "Dan" McCorquodale was the head of the family and the father of the children seen here. He worked as an Oxford County Councillor along with his farming. Donald is missing from the photo. All of the McCorquodale children are included in the photo; from left to right - Anna Mary (d. 1954), Alex D. (1890-1965), Johanna "Joey" (1885-1970), Tina Christina (1892-1957), Frank M. (1892-1959) and Sarah Jane (1894-1963).

The family is posing beside a tall flagpole in the yard. Behind them are two large semi-circle shaped hedges. The yard is enclosed by a wooden rail fence, seen to the right. The large brick house stands in the background. It is a storey and a half and built with light brick. The peaks of the roof are decorated with ginger breading and ornate finials. the house features several arched windows; the lower window seen on the left side of the house includes stained-glass. The house appears to have two porches, one on the right and one at the front of the building. The house also features some scalloped shingle details on the porch and above the large window to the left. Note the rectangular area of lighter coloured brick on the house; this is an indication that there was once a doorway that has been bricked over.

The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.

This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1632. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.