Family Portrait, Board and Batten Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. A man and a woman are sitting in chairs in front of a board and batten house in the country. A little girl is sitting in the woman's lap. A young man is standing behind the couple. A dog is lying at the feet of the man in the chair.
The house is one and a half storeys with what appears to be an addition at the side of the house; additions such as these were often built to be used as a summer kitchen. The house has a covered porch and a dormer window letting light into the upper level. Seven empty glass jars are sitting on the far right of the porch.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1112. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Good - Image is clear. No visible signs of damage to glass plate. No major signs of oxidation on negative. Emulsion deterioration in upper left quadrant (length: 7cm, width: 0.3cm). Minor wear along edges. Three fingerprints in upper right quadrant.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1112
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Family Portrait, Board and Batten Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1112.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.