Women's Portrait with House in the Country, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the women in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. Three women of various ages are posing in front of a house in the country. The house appears to have a brick front and a wood frame back section. The brick portion of the home has a large arched window with a fancy brick header above it. Ginger breading can also be spotted on the peaks of the roof. Potted planters are sitting in the window sills.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1089. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Fair - Image is clear. Small chip out of glass plate in lower left corner. Several spots of oxidation, almost all are circular in shape - around 15 smaller spots and two larger ones in the left half of the negative (sizes - length: 3cm, width: 1cm and length: 6.3cm, width: 1.2cm). Several small scratches on negative surface, deepest scratched 3.5cm in length in upper right corner. Small area of emulsion loss in lower left corner.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1089
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Women's Portrait with House in the Country, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1089.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.