Two Men and a Woman with Brick Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. An older woman is sitting in a chair in front of a brick house in the country, two men are standing beside her. The men are wearing good waistcoats. A dog is lying in the grass beside them. Note the intricately designed bargeboard in the central dormer and the large finial on its peak. A transom window can be seen over the front door. A small shrub in a wooden planter can be seen on the front step of the home. There appears to be a barn-like building in the background to the left of the house.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1087. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Very Good - Image is very clear. No visible damage to glass plate. Some oxidation around outer edges of negative, most severe along right and upper edges (2cm at widest point). Dust has adhered to upper edge of negative. Two small spots of emulsion loss in lower right quadrant (<1cm in size).
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1087
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Two Men and a Woman with Brick Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1087.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.