Woman with Children, Man with Horses, House in the Country, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The photo shows a family in front of their small frame house in the country. The house is covered in shiplap boards. There appears to have been an addition added to the back of the house. Various plants in pots and crates are sitting out in front of the house. A wire fence encloses the front of the property. A woman is sitting in a chair holding an infant in her arms; a little girl in a white dress is standing next to her. A man is standing to the right, holding the leads of two horses.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1083. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. Little to no damage to glass plate. Small amount of oxidation around outer edges of negative (approx. 1cm at widest point). Small areas of emulsion loss around outside of negative (<1cm in size). Two fingerprints in upper right quadrant. Scrape on surface in upper left quadrant (width: 1.3cm, length: 2.5cm). Unknown white substance is adhered in tiny spot along right edge.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1083
- Carter & Isaac
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Woman with Children, Man with Horses, House in the Country, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1083.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.