Woman, Child and Dog with Brick Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who was the woman and child in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. A woman is sitting in a chair outside a brick farmhouse with an infant in her lap. A dog is standing behind them. The house appears to be covered in a brick veneer. The house features a small covered porch with gingerbread details. The ginger breading is carried up onto the peaks of the dormer and front gable; both peaks are topped with decorative finials. Potted flowers sit on the exterior window sill on the porch. Note the small outhouse to the left of the house, seen through the trees. To the right of the image, a barn building stands in the background.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1074. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Fair - Image is clear. No noticeable damage to glass plate. Small area of oxidation along upper edge (length: 3.6cm, width: 1cm). Surface scratches throughout negative, largest located in lower half near bottom edge (9.5cm in length). Significant emulsion loss in upper left quadrant (length: 8cm, width: 1.3cm). Small spot of emulsion loss in upper right corner (<1cm). Residue in bottom right and left corners. Fingerprinting along right edge of negative, five fingerprints in total.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1074
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Woman, Child and Dog with Brick Farmhouse, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1074.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.