Family Portrait, Frame House with Ornate Front Porch, c. 1902-1906
- Mystery Question:
Where was this house located? Who were the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The photo shows several people posing in front of a house in the country. A woman is standing with a young boy and small child. Nearby a man is sitting in a chair with an infant in his lap and a small boy standing to his left. Another man is sitting on the porch to the right. A dog is standing behind the group of people.
The front of this frame house is quite ornate. Fancy bargeboard details and a finial decorate the peak of the central dormer where a Romanesque window is placed. The covered porch has elaborate posts with large, carved brackets. A workbench sitting next to a wire fence is visible in the background to the right.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 1070. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Good - Image is very clear. Small amount of oxidation on left edge (length: 6cm, width: 2cm). Minor emulsion loss in lower left quadrant and at bottom right corner (all <1cm in size). Light scratches across negative surface. Three small deeper scratches in upper left corner, a deep scratch in lower left corner (length: 3.5cm).
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Local identifier:
- CI 1070
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Family Portrait, Frame House with Ornate Front Porch, c. 1902-1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 1070.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.