The Johnson Farmstead, E. Nissouri, c. 1906
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The photo features a farm house owned by the Johnson family of Zorra Township. Fannie Johnson (née Kernick) is standing on the front porch of the home. Fannie lived in the house with her husband Charles (missing from the photo) and their two children, Ethel (sitting to Fannie's left) and William (on the right). Ethel was actually Fannie's niece; she came to the live with the Johnson family after a death in her family.
The Johnsons purchased the property in 1905. The house was located on Lot 32, Concession 12. In 1914, Charles and Fannie moved to St. Marys, where Charles worked at the Wood Specialty Company. After Charles's death in 1920, Fannie moved back to the farm to live with her son William. The property was eventually expropriated by the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority; it is now under Wildwood Lake.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 989. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Excellent - Image is very clear. Little to no damage to glass plate. Emulsion is largely intact and undamaged. Moderate oxidation in upper left (length: 6.5cm, width: 2cm) and upper right (length: 13cm, width: 2cm) quadrants.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Personal Name(s):
- From left to right: Ethel Johnson, Frances (Fannie) Johnson, William Charles Johnson
- Local identifier:
- CI 989
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "The Johnson Farmstead, E. Nissouri, c. 1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 989.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.