Tom and Bill McGee with their Barn, E. Nissouri, c. 1906
- Carter & Isaac, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photograph was taken by local photographers Carter & Isaac in the early 20th century. The photo features a large wooden bank barn; this style of barn was built into a bank or sloped ground. The ramp allowed hay wagons to access the upper level where the hay would have been stored. A threshing floor would have likely been located in the upper level as well. The lower level housed the farmer's livestock; in the winter time, the animals would have been protected by the insulating hay above. This barn was owned by the McGee family; the farm was located at Lot 14, Concession 12 in East Nissouri Township. The barn was built in 1906 and is still standing today.
One of the McGees is standing with a horse and buggy. The other man is posed next to horses and a plow. A young boy is seated on the plow for the photograph. A tall wooden silo can be seen standing beside the barn and a windmill adorns the barn roof. The windmill would have either been used to provide power to a feed grinder in the barn or for pumping water from a well dug into the barn up into a supply tank. Three lightning rods are also adorning the roof.
The Carter & Isaac company specialized in outdoor photography, focusing on houses and farmsteads in rural Ontario. William Webster Carter was the photographer and traveled by horse and buggy through the countryside with his camera and other equipment. His wife, Bertha Isaac, processed the glass negatives and made prints for sale. Carter & Isaac took photographs in the St. Marys area between 1902 and 1906 and briefly again in 1908.
This image is a contact print made from the original glass plate negative. The contact identifier number can be seen in the bottom corner of the photograph where Carter & Isaac have scratched it into the emulsion. The number is 983. This photo is part of a collection of photos which appear to have been taken in the northern part of Oxford County.
- Condition: Good - Image is very clear. Tiny chip out of upper left corner of glass plate. Moderate oxidation around outer edges of negative. Emulsion loss on right side of negative, concentrated on lower right corner (width: 0.7cm, length: 2.3cm). Unknown residue on surface of negative in upper right and upper left corners.
Width: 21.5 cm
Height: 16.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 21.5cm
Image Height: 16.5cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Tom McGee, Bill McGee
- Local identifier:
- CI 983
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Robert and Margaret Mountain, 1996
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "Tom and Bill McGee with their Barn, E. Nissouri, c. 1906", St. Marys Museum, CI 983.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.