The Station at the Switch
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- This photo was taken in the early 1900s. It features the station at the "Switch", where the Grand Trunk Railway main line crossed over James Street South. The switch stand can be seen in the foreground next to the railroad tracks. This station was built in 1879, offering a location closer to the centre of town than the G.T.R. station at the Junction. It served downtown St. Marys until the current Via Station was built in 1907. This building was removed and became an outbuilding on a property near the railway tracks in east London.
When the Maxwell's foundry opened in 1888, a line ran off the main track to loading docks on the west side of the tracks where an industrial complex was located at the time. The photo gives a view looking south; the second floor windows of Maxwell's are visible in the distance at the right side of the image. James Street, still a dirt road at this date, can be seen on the left.
A woman, wearing a light-coloured summer day dress, is waiting in the shade of the station. A poster is visible on the wall of the shed to the right of the station; it is advertising the Western Fair in London, Ontario. Two men dressed in suits are standing on the platform, along with a third man who is sitting on an empty baggage cart farther up the platform.
The photographer responsible for this photo is unknown at this time.
- Condition: Fair - Image is fairly clear. Photograph has some darkening in the bottom right quadrant. Small blemishes throughout the image. At top of photo, near right corner, there is a medium-sized stain on photo surface. Spotting on top half of photo. Left side of photo appears to have been creased.
- St. Marys Museum Photo Collection
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Larry Pfaff
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- "The Station at the Switch", St. Marys Museum.
- Location of Original:
- R. Lorne Eedy Archives
- Reproduction of digital objects is restricted to fair use for personal research or study; any other use must be done with permission of copyright holder.
- Reproduction Notes:
- This image is a watermarked low resolution reproduction. High resolution images are available at the St. Marys Museum for a fee.
St. Marys Museum
Agency street/mail address
177 Church Street South,
P.O. Box 998,
St. Marys, Ontario.