Picture St. Marys
Limestone buildings


Records

Results

We found
77
matching items
Groups
Limestone buildings
  
list thumb list 2 columns gallery
  • 84 Water St. South
    Image       This photo shows the stone building at 84 Water Street South on the west side of the street. The building has had many uses and is currently a photo studio.
    Image     This photo shows the stone building at 84 Water Street South on the west side of the street. The building has had many uses and is currently a photo studio.
  • Westover, 300 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This house, now known as Westover, was built in 1867 for retired mill owner William Veal Hutton and his brother Joseph O. Hutton. The limestone house was designed by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour. In the 1870s, a two-storey addition was erected on the south side of the house. A ...
    Image     This house, now known as Westover, was built in 1867 for retired mill owner William Veal Hutton and his brother Joseph O. Hutton. The limestone house was designed by locally ...
  • 111 Widder St. E., 1980s
    Image       This is one of the oldest homes in St. Marys. It is a pre-1850s limestone house. The south portion of the house was likely built by James Allan circa 1848/49 who lived on the property with his family. Allan would later add an addition to the house in 1856. In ...
    Image     This is one of the oldest homes in St. Marys. It is a pre-1850s limestone house. The south portion of the house was likely built by James Allan circa 1848/49 ...
  • 345 Wellington St. S., 1980s
    Image       This storey and a half stone limestone house was built sometime before the 1861 census was taken in St. Marys. The house was first owned by James Elliott, it overlooked his quarry and kiln. Elliott was known for his work on the St. Marys Opera House which was constructed with ...
    Image     This storey and a half stone limestone house was built sometime before the 1861 census was taken in St. Marys. The house was first owned by James Elliott, it overlooked ...
  • 130 Wellington St. N., 1980s
    Image       This house located at 130 Wellington Street North was built c. 1890 for local merchant Robert Dickson by architect George Gouinlock. Gouinlock was responsible for the design and construction of the current St. Marys Town Hall. The house became known locally as "Gray Gables". It is two and a half ...
    Image     This house located at 130 Wellington Street North was built c. 1890 for local merchant Robert Dickson by architect George Gouinlock. Gouinlock was responsible for the design and construction of ...
  • 106 Wellington St. N., 1980s
    Image       This one-storey limestone house was built in the 1870s by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour for Fanny Adam. The house is known as one of Fanny Adam's four cottages. Fanny was married to John Adam, a local tavern keeper at the St. Marys Empire Hotel. After his passing in 1866, ...
    Image     This one-storey limestone house was built in the 1870s by locally renowned architect Robert Barbour for Fanny Adam. The house is known as one of Fanny Adam's four cottages. Fanny ...
  • 136 Water St. S., 1980s
    Image       This limestone Ontario cottage was built in the mid to late 1860s. It is believed to have been built as a residence by James Whitson. Whitson was a stonecutter and mason who would later own a lime making business. He was also active in municipal politics from the 1870s to ...
    Image     This limestone Ontario cottage was built in the mid to late 1860s. It is believed to have been built as a residence by James Whitson. Whitson was a stonecutter and ...
  • 105 Water St. S., 1980s
    Image       This limestone one-storey house was built c. 1863 for Frances Sophia Hill. In later years, post-1940, it would become known as the home of Walter Cull and his family. The house looks much different today than when this photo was taken in the mid-1980s. A restoration project was completed on ...
    Image     This limestone one-storey house was built c. 1863 for Frances Sophia Hill. In later years, post-1940, it would become known as the home of Walter Cull and his family. The ...
  • 6 Water St. S., 1980s
    Image       This building is located on the southwest corner of Queen and Water Street in downtown St. Marys. Note part of the Great Star Flour Mill structure and sign visible behind the building and the Opera House to the south. The building was constructed of local limestone in 1863 for William ...
    Image     This building is located on the southwest corner of Queen and Water Street in downtown St. Marys. Note part of the Great Star Flour Mill structure and sign visible behind ...
  • 91 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This limestone building is located at 91 Queen Street East in downtown St. Marys. It was built in 1854 for William V. Hutton, an early mayor of St. Marys. The architect who constructed the building was Lauriston Cruttenden; he was responsible for the design of many early buildings in St. ...
    Image     This limestone building is located at 91 Queen Street East in downtown St. Marys. It was built in 1854 for William V. Hutton, an early mayor of St. Marys. The ...
  • 243 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This two-storey house located at 243 Thomas Street was constructed with locally quarried limestone. It was built c. 1869 by stonemason William Falconer Jr. In 1878 it was sold to farmer George Whiles who lived in the home for several years with his son Luke William Whiles, a local carpenter. ...
    Image     This two-storey house located at 243 Thomas Street was constructed with locally quarried limestone. It was built c. 1869 by stonemason William Falconer Jr. In 1878 it was sold to ...
  • 216 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This Ontario Cottage style house was a common design throughout the 19th century. It was built between 1865 and 1866 by local architect Robert Barbour. Barbour was known for his work in St. Marys including the Tracy House (the St. Marys Museum), the downtown block South of the Opera House ...
    Image     This Ontario Cottage style house was a common design throughout the 19th century. It was built between 1865 and 1866 by local architect Robert Barbour. Barbour was known for his ...
  • 181 Thomas St., 1980s
    Image       This photograph shows the stone cottage located at 181 Thomas Street as it looked in the early to mid-1980s. The house was built in 1863 by local stonemason Alexander Grant with the help of his son John Grant. The regularly coursed stone exterior, the finished quoins and lintels and the ...
    Image     This photograph shows the stone cottage located at 181 Thomas Street as it looked in the early to mid-1980s. The house was built in 1863 by local stonemason Alexander Grant ...
  • 347 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This house, located at 347 Queen Street East, was built for Elizabeth James in the late 1850s. Elizabeth purchased the land from James Ingersoll in 1854 and the house was built sometime between this date and 1861 when she sold the property. Elizabeth appears to have lived in the house ...
    Image     This house, located at 347 Queen Street East, was built for Elizabeth James in the late 1850s. Elizabeth purchased the land from James Ingersoll in 1854 and the house was ...
  • 252 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This photograph shows the house located at 252 Queen Street East as it appeared in the early to mid-1980s. The cottage, seen to the right, was built c. 1849 for John Sanderson. Sanderson was a lumberman who would later have the two-storey addition added to the cottage c. 1869 after ...
    Image     This photograph shows the house located at 252 Queen Street East as it appeared in the early to mid-1980s. The cottage, seen to the right, was built c. 1849 for ...
  • 144 Queen St. W., 1980s
    Image       This picture shows the house located at 144 Queen Street West as it looked in the early to mid 1980s. This house is still standing today and is an historically designated structure. The house was built c. 1865 for early settler James McKay. It was constructed with limestone and contains ...
    Image     This picture shows the house located at 144 Queen Street West as it looked in the early to mid 1980s. This house is still standing today and is an historically ...
  • 26 Ontario St. S., 1980s
    Image       This limestone house located at 26 Ontario St. South is still standing today. It was the home of several notable St. Marys residents. The house was built c. 1870 by Robert Davy, listed as a plasterer in the census. In 1874 the property was sold to Martha Box Nickels, of ...
    Image     This limestone house located at 26 Ontario St. South is still standing today. It was the home of several notable St. Marys residents. The house was built c. 1870 by ...
  • 285 Emily St., 1980s
    Image       This stone house, built c. 1861, is still standing to this day. This photo provides a view of the home as it appeared in the early 1980s. The house was built for Andrew Forrester and his family, a local farmer and carpenter. By 1863 Forrester established a flax mill on ...
    Image     This stone house, built c. 1861, is still standing to this day. This photo provides a view of the home as it appeared in the early 1980s. The house was ...
  • 159 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This building is located 159 Queen Street East. It is one of the oldest commercial buildings in St. Marys. It was constructed in the 1850s for George McIntyre, a shoemaker. The building has served a variety of commercial purposes since it was built; it is still in use today. It ...
    Image     This building is located 159 Queen Street East. It is one of the oldest commercial buildings in St. Marys. It was constructed in the 1850s for George McIntyre, a shoemaker. ...
  • 142 Queen St. E., 1980s
    Image       This photo shows the building located at 142 Queen Street East. The photo was taken in the early 1980s when the building still housed the St. Marys Journal-Argus. The building was used for the St. Marys Journal originally and housed the Eedy publishing firm since 1895; when the Journal and ...
    Image     This photo shows the building located at 142 Queen Street East. The photo was taken in the early 1980s when the building still housed the St. Marys Journal-Argus. The building ...
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Limestone buildings